Psiphon is a pretty unique app. Not only does it give you effortless access to your favorite social media platforms and to news broadcasts, but it is also one of the best VPN tools around. When you use a Wi-Fi hotspot to access the internet, Psiphon will automatically create a private and secure tunnel, allowing you to browse in secret and in security.
- 1 Download Psiphon:
- 2 PsiphonFeatures:
- 3 Why Download Psiphon?
- 4 While I Use Psiphon, Can My ISP See What I Do?
- 5 Troubleshooting:
- 5.1 Why Do I Get a Repeated “Connection Failed” Message?
- 5.2 Why Does my Connection Disconnect?
- 5.3 Psiphon for Android won’t Connect After Upgrading:
- 5.4 I Cannot ‘Trust This Application’ When Psiphon Connects:
- 5.5 I Can’t Get USB Tethering or Android Mobile Hotspot to Work Through Psiphon:
- 5.6 My Firewall or Antivirus Sees Psiphon as a Threat – Why?
- 5.7 Whole Device Mode for my Rooted Android Device Has Disappeared – Why?
Psiphon offers users some unique features, including:
- A global network featuring thousands of secure entry points and servers, ensuring your consistent connection
- You don’t need to register an account to use it
- Has more protocols than standard VPN tools, using the Psiphon global server network to give you unparalleled internet access
- Customize your proxy settings
- Get usage stats in-app
- Choose the apps you want to be excluded from the VPN tunnel
- The open-source app, highly trustworthy and peer-reviewed
- Completely free to use
- You don’t need a jailbreak
- Lots more features
Why Download Psiphon?
There are plenty of good reasons why you should download this unique and cool app:
- Gets you past country/region/business censorship, allowing you to go anywhere on the internet, when you want and to download whatever you want
- Gets you to your online destination in safety, providing you with a secure tunnel through which you can surf, regardless of the network you are using
- Completely trustworthy, fast, and simple. Since its release in 2008, Psiphon has been used by millions across the world, even in repressive countries where internet freedom is restricted, and knowledge is censored, and it can do exactly the same for you.
While I Use Psiphon, Can My ISP See What I Do?
No, because all the data going through Psiphon is encrypted. You can safely browse the net, upload and download what you want, and much more. However, you should bear in mind that Psiphon was not really designed as a tool to hide everything – it was originally designed as a way of getting around censorship. That means your cookies and browsing history are still stored on your device and, in some configurations, there is a chance that not all traffic will be routed through the tunnel, i.e., If the proxy settings for your browser are not correctly configured or if your browser remains open after you stop using Psiphon. And there are also some highly advanced techniques that can examine encrypted data and see some information.
Why Do I Get a Repeated “Connection Failed” Message?
This indicates that the Psiphon client you are using cannot find any available servers. Download a new client and try again.
Why Does my Connection Disconnect?
The most common cause of this is an inconsistent connection between your device and the internet. On mobile phones, reception may be lost, thus cutting the connection or you may be connected to an unreliable Wi-Fi connection.
Psiphon for Android won’t Connect After Upgrading:
If you install the upgrade while you are connected to Psiphon, you might find that it is unable to connect again after the update. You may see a ‘start_tunnel_failed application is not prepared or revoked’ error, and this is down to a bug in Android. To fix this, simply restart your device.
I Cannot ‘Trust This Application’ When Psiphon Connects:
You may be using a screen filter app or one that controls the brightness of your screen, such as Lux Auto-Brightness. If you are, disable it as it can interfere with the way you interact with the ‘trust’ prompt.
I Can’t Get USB Tethering or Android Mobile Hotspot to Work Through Psiphon:
This is down to Android having some limitations in the implementation of tethered and hotspot. You could find that your tethered device won’t connect or, if it does, the traffic cant get through. There is nothing you can do about this.
My Firewall or Antivirus Sees Psiphon as a Threat – Why?
Provided you are using an authentic copy of Psiphon, and this is nothing more than a false-positive report. Most firewalls and Antivirus software do not see Psiphon as a threat and have added it to their whitelist; some, however, still incorrectly identify it as a threat.
Whole Device Mode for my Rooted Android Device Has Disappeared – Why?
This was present until an update in 2015 removed it. Before then, users who had older devices were able to tunnel the entire device, so long as it was rooted.